I have become a reluctant participant in Facebook - a social networking site that allows you to connect with people from your present and past. While I don't "do" much on the site I have enjoyed when people from my past "find" me and we reconnect - if only in the virtual space of Facebook. It is almost like attending a class reunion in some ways, finding out what people have been doing in the last 20 years (yikes! time is going so fast!)
I have enjoyed learning about peoples career choices, family status, location, etc. It has also made me reflect a bit upon the stage of life I find myself in right now.....knee deep in KIDS!
One of my dearest and longest friends, with whom I have been horrible keeping in touch with, recently sent me an update about herself on Facebook. I must admit, after reading the current activities of her life I felt as though my life is a bit...hmmmm.. ordinary.
I hate to admit it, and perhaps it is because I am in the midst of the land of sick children who need lots of rest and we can't leave home, but I also felt a bit envious - trips to exotic places, time to reflect on the global economy, training for triathlons, she is even currently reading on post-democracy India - it all seems so exciting!
As I laid back and began to daydream a bit about things I would like to do my sweet boy Ethan came in and put his arms around me and said, "I love you so much Mommy" and in that moment I knew there was no other place in the world that I am supposed to be, no other place where I am more needed, no other place that could bring me the joy I have being home with my 4 amazing blessings.
Jesus has designed us all for specific roles - my dear friend is absolutely one of the smartest, most amazing women I know- she should be traveling the globe contemplating world food issues...it is right for her. And I have been called to the task of mothering four little people....it is right for me....
Jesus assigns each of us our "portion" for our cup.... Our task as His obedient children is to rejoice in that portion and to bloom where we are planted. Whatever your current call in life - are you doing your very best? Are you living an abundant life or a reluctant life? Are you filling each day to the brim or simply waiting for the day to end quickly? Whether our lives are full and exciting depends not on where we live or our jobs or our family status.... but purely on our attitude and outlook.
I am so thankful that my friend is doing well and so proud of the way she is filling her days. I also know that her life is right for her - I would be a terrible failure at traveling the world (I miss my kids when I go grocery shopping without them!) and well, those of you who know me know that a triathalon is nowhere in my future.
Although, I am inspired to begin reading something a bit more challenging than "Pete's a Pizza" and "How do Dinosaurs Clean Up their rooms?"
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I'm sorry Robin, but "How Do Dinosaurs Clean Up Their Rooms" is one of my personal favorites!
I'm still amazed at the way we can get in touch all over the world with this internet thing!
On a more serious note, we both are amazed by your ministry with your kids, discipling other mothers, and even looking after goofy people from Northern Ireland!
Keep up God's work!!
Love,
J&J
Robin
Enjoyed dinner with your precious husband and pastor last evening. And I just had to comment after reading this. Life is so "ordinary" and I have been so impressed and challenged lately to find joy in the "ordinary" rather than seeking the "mountaintops" for the sense of high. I praise God for mothers and fathers like the Mackinnons who are willing to be "ordinary" in a non-ordinary world! We love you guys!
Robin
The moments you have raising your children will give you memories that will last a life-time and make you all the better and stronger. The world problems will still be here and you my dear will have given 4 children the means to cope with our crazy world and possibly even solve some of it's problems. Love you
Jim and Maria
I totally agree Robin. It is so easy to loose perspective on what we are actually doing at home. Now that the kids have started school, it all seems to fly by so quickly and I cherish my time with the boys so much more!
Post a Comment